Jack Tar. 1954 Winter.

Winter 1954.



(A  Branch of Dr.  Barnardo's Homes)


Captain Superintendent: Commander E.  S. FELTON,  R.N.   (Retd.)

Lady Superintendent: Mrs. E.  S.  FELTON.

 Executive Officer: Commander A. R. FREEMAN, R.N.  (Retd.)

Headmaster: Mr. F. BAILEY.

 Chaplain: Rev. J. SLATER, B.A.

Chief Matron: Miss E. SPENCER

Mr.  W. H.  JAMES-BAILEY,  A.M.S.E.,  A.M.P.E. (Woodwork and Mathematics)

Mr.  L.  I.  NORBURY-WILLIAMS,  F.R.G.S.   (Science and Geography)

Mr. F. HINKS (Mathematics and Geography)

Mr. R. FORD (Arts and Crafts, Music, English)

Mr.  R.  HALL  (English and History)

Mr.  A. T. HARRINGTON  (Physical Training)

Mr. V. C. JOYCE, L.R.A.M.  (Bandmaster)

Mr.  S.  W.  POINTER  (Signals)

Mr. A. H. BUTCHER (Seamanship)

Mr.  C.  S. WOOD  (Boxing)

Mr. V. ROLT (Gunnery)

House Parents

Arranmore:   Mr.  and Mrs.  A.  H.  BUTCHER

Howard:  Mr. and Mrs. B. A. BUSBY

Johnston:  Mr. and Mrs. A. T. HARRINGTON

Broughton:   Mr. and Mrs. C. S. WOOD

Sick Bay Sister: Miss I. D. MATTHEWS, S.R.N.

Captain's Secretary: Miss E. ADAMS

Maintenance: Mr. H. S. DAVIES

Head Gardener: Mr. R. STOAKES

Chief Cook: Mrs. E. WARNE

Magazine  Committee




We trust our readers will approve of the new editorial block, which we consider more appropriate for a nautical school than the previous one. Readers not conversant with semaphore may not realise that the word "made" is EDITORIAL. We thank Mr. Reginald Stoakes for kindly devoting so much time to photographic details, Mr. S. W. Pointer (Signals Officer) for his technical assistance and the nine members of the E.R.A. class for being photogenic.  L.I.N.W.


Our Display Day has become an annual event in which the staff and boys are able to show the many friends of the school something of the training given to the lads and the conditions in which they live. It has not been possible to make many variations in the programme and it is probable that members of the public would be disappointed if popular items were dropped, even if suitable alternatives could be found. This year the performance of a new "turn", the human "chariots" was very well received, and the facile manner in which the Seamanship Party produced a large variety of bends, hitches and splices, justified the inclusion of this other new item.

The biggest change of all, was, however, not at all welcome. In previous years we have been very fortunate in regard to the weather, but July I7th, 1954 did its best to wash out any feelings of complac­ency about our choice of date. The adverse conditions experienced failed to damp the spirits of our hosts unduly. The boys are to be congratu­lated on the way in which they carried out their items on the parade ground, the surface of which was rendered rather treacherous by the rain.

The efforts of staff and boys would have been of no avail without an audience and we are grateful to those who attended, including the Mayor and Mayoress of Poole (Councillor and Mrs. Reeves) and mem­bers of our visiting Committee. It had been anticipated that bad weather would have a very adverse effect on our receipts, but this was not the case, owing to the support given by our visitors, and those who did not actually attend.

In spite of the help we receive from the Poole Library, it has been difficult to meet fully our need for suitable books. It has therefore given us great pleasure to receive a fine collection of books from our friends at the Royal Naval College, Dartmouth. These books formed part of the College library, which is being re-organised because of the changes in the scheme for entry of officers. In addition to a large number of books for general reading, we have also received some fine sets of books for classroom use.  E.S.F.                                                                                                                            5


The boys came back from leave on Friday, 3oth May and the school term commenced the following Monday. This date was a week later than usual, which caused congestion in the term's programme, resulting in the Display being held later and the Swimming Sports being postponed until the beginning of the Winter term. A large number of new boys joined early in May.

Athletics training started at once and the first meeting was the Inter-Homes (District 3) Sports, held on our lower ground on Saturday, 22nd May, followed by our own Inter-House Championships on Thursday, l0th June, bad weather having necessitated the cancelling of the arranged date. The Poole Schools' Athletics were held on Tuesday, 1st June, on the Gasworks Ground - the only fine day we had for Athletics during the whole term.  Half Term, 4th June, seemed to be on us before we had really got started, and after this, rehearsing for the Display began in earnest.  On 3rd July our Band and Athletic team went to the Village Homes, Barkingside, for the Dr. Barnardo's Homes Athletic Championships, a day thoroughly enjoyed by all who went.

Display Day, Saturday, 17th July, was very disappointing. It rained most of the day and the attendance was small, but we did go through the whole programme as advertised and in the circumstances the boys put up an exceptionally good show.

There were a number of engagements for the Band and Gym Display Party during the term. All the boys were invited to the Bourne­mouth Baths to see "Aquafantasia", which was much enjoyed.

Good progress was made at Nautical Instructions during the term. Mr. Rolt and Mr. Davies put in a lot of hard work on the motor boat and this was taken towards the end of the term to Mitchell's Yard. The boat did not "take up" and still makes a good deal of water, but was used a few times and proved good value both instructional and recreational. It has been decided to get her out of the water and have another go at the hull. The Cutter Instruction is always popular with the boys and good use has been made of it during the term.

The work on the upper field has gone on during the term and now the levelling is complete, sowing will take place any day.

While the Top Field is out of action, the parade ground comes into more use for recreation. Stump cricket with a tennis ball became a very popular game, even when the Swimming Bath eventually reached a temperature that tempted bathing. It is unfortunate that a cricket pitch was not available, though a rough pitch was used on the Lower Ground.

The new Seamanship room, which is large and has good daylight lighting compared with the dim interior of the old room, is almost completed. The steering model and other equipment are about to be moved in. A.R.F.


The new Science laboratory, a brick structure forty feet long and twenty-three feet wide, has been constructed by modifying and lengthening an existing building, which had been erected as a galley by the Royal Navy during the last war. A spacious stockroom fourteen feet by seven feet is attached to the east end of the building, the en­trance to it being adjacent to the demonstration bench to facilitate the speedy transfer of equipment. The exterior walls of the whole have been coated with cream coloured "Snowcem", which is not only pleasing to the eye, but it is hoped will minimise the penetration of dampness. Entrance is effected by two doors on the north side. The floor, Dunlop "Semtex", is a red composition one which has been laid over concrete.

Windows on all sides of the building and five perspex skylights give excellent daylight lighting. Artificial illumination is provided by lights over all benches and sinks, the switches of the latter being of the ceiling type to conform to safety regulations. Fluorescent lighting is utilised above the sliding blackboard, which has one board squared for graph work.

The main building is heated by four radiant gas heaters suspended from the roof. These are controlled by bowden cables operated by wall switches. Loss of heat through the asbestos roofing has been reduced by the installation of a false roof using wallboard. The stock­room is heated by electricity.

The interior fittings have been planned to cater for a General Science syllabus with a bias towards Physics. A sidebench, beneath which there are three units each consisting of a cupboard and drawer, runs practically the whole length of the south wall. This bench is fitted with two small sinks, and a large sink in the centre complete with draining boards, wall draining rack and small "Ascot" geyser. Ten physics benches equipped with double gas taps, enable twenty boys to carry out individual practical work. Four of these benches are removable, gas being obtainable by making a rubber connection from the protected taps in the wells in the floor to permanent gas fittings on the bench. The provision of a woodwork bench and a metal-work bench at one end of the laboratory provides facilities for the construction of models.

Gas and water is controlled by valves near the master's demon­stration bench and adequate wall space is available for the display of diagrams. A fourteen inch electric wall clock with a large second hand serves the dual purpose of providing the time and enabling the whole class to work to half a second when so required.

Blinds are fitted to the skylights and windows in one section of the laboratory, this area being curtained-off for demonstrations in Optics. The film, film-strip and micro-proj'ector have not been over­looked, facilities for the use of these being provided in the Geography room, where the painting of an old large roller blind with poly-vinyl emulsion paint has made an excellent screen.  L.I.N.W.


This is the season of stocktaking in our band personnel. Looking at the ages of our Band boys, we observe that of our summer engage­ment band of 29 boys we shall be saying goodbye to about 20 of this number before next Easter. This is rather a shock, but we still look to the future with great hope. There is here an opportunity for our young aspirants to the musical profession who are making such good progress, to fill these vacancies in all departments of our school band. May we, in advance, say how we shall miss those boys who are leaving us, and thank them for their loyalty, good humour, and grand co­operation in the past, and wish them good luck in their new ventures in the future.

Now to look back for a few moments on the last term, a very busy time but a happy one for us : a few more hundred miles trav­elled by coach, train and van, no real casualties to our boys or instru­ments, only our music looking a bit the worse for wear, and a few clothes pegs lost (to the uninitiated these are used to hold our music to the band stands). We had a few first appearance engagements, the most important to us as a Sea Training School being our visit to the R.N. Air Station at Yeovilton in Somerset. We had a very good reception there from the part of a huge crowd of 13,000 spectators who listened to our programme played in a large hangar, owing to the heavy rain storms. We were thrilled with the Air Display and the paratroop drop, which we were able to see between our playing periods and also to be associated in this programme with a band of the Royal Marines from Plymouth. We thank all who looked after us so well on this visit, our final meal before leaving being a real "smashing" supper which the boys will remember for a long time.

Poole Speedway (to which we eventually made four visits) was our next most important appearance. On each occasion we had a very enthusiastic reception from the spectators, and we now feel that after five years here we have at last really captured the hearts of these Dorset folk. In connection with these visits may we thank the Padre, Mr. Busby, Mr. Butcher, the boys and the spectators for their grand effort on the night of the great collection.

We played our usual part in our own Display Day, which went very well considering the wet weather. Among our other engagements was our annual visit to London for the Homes Athletic Sports, to Bridport B.H.L. Fete, and to a St. John Ambulance Fete at Upton House, where we met that vivacious radio star Anona Winn. To carry out all these duties efficiently we do realise that the physical fitness of the boys is essential, and so may we say how grateful we are to the Back Room ladies of the Sick Bay, the Sister, and the Nurse, for their good work in dealing with our boys' ailments. We do not seem to have had many "stopped blow" lately.

Now as we commence our new term we have made another first appearance at a Battle of Britain procession and carnival, in that lovely old market town of Wimborne, Dorset, where a few of our young boys made their debut in the band proper, two to fill the vacancies left by L. H. Whiteside and Band Boy Ayestaran who have joined the bands of the 4th Hussars and the Staff Band (Rhine) of the Royal Tank Regt. respectively. We all wish them a happy and successful career with not too many wrong notes, and may we say how much we miss them.

How pleased we were, while playing in London, to see the Twin Trombonists and their smiling faces, old Band Boys Parsons and Francis, both doing well in the R.A. Band and "civvy" life respectively.

We welcome our new boys in the junior class who are making a grand start to becoming the Band of next year. We send our greetings and best wishes to all our Band Boys on land and sea.

Per Mare Per terram.      V. C. joyce


Last term we missed the boat and got left on the beach high and dry. Have we lived it down? No, sir! However, here we go again.

Firstly, Dennis Ayestaran and Joe ("Lizzie") Whiteside have left us to join Army bands and we wish them good luck in their new careers. Also, our good wishes go with "Dizzy" Lomax, the clown of the division, who has gone to the Royal Navy and who will be joined shortly by Clive Miller. "Smiler" Keith Drake is going into the Royal Marines Band Service.

We welcome into our ranks new boys Barton, Leddy, Stuckey, Taylor and Twinn. They seem to have settled happily amongst us.

Congratulations to Hugo on sharing the Victor Ludorum with Brown in the Athletic Sports. Hugo and Taylor have been selected to play in the Poole schoolboys' team in the English (Schoolboys) Cup Competition.

In the Swimming Sports we were left with the "wooden spoon" but never mind, lads, Soccer is our strong point this year, and we hope to show the others a thing or two.

We congratulate Nowell Eggleden on being rated Petty Officer and Fred Whinney on his promotion to Leading Hand.

My wife and I were very sorry to hear of the death of one of our old boys, George Horrex, after a short illness. It came as a shock to us both.

Five of our boys had a very enjoyable time at the annual camp at St. Mary's Bay, as did my wife and I.

Here's to next time.

Mr. & Mrs. C. S. wood



Since the last issue of the magazine, Robert Feest, John Grantham and Robert Baker have joined us and we are pleased to say that they appear to have settled down amongst us fairly quickly. Only Derek Channer has left us during that period to begin his career in the Army Apprentices' School at Chepstow. We all wish him every success.

Many times one hears the following remark, "I'll have a try, but I don't think I'll get in". Such was the spirit amongst our lads when the standard events were being run off in the Inter-House Athletic Sports. A number of boys who did try and who did get in, enabled us to retain the Standard Points Cup for the fourth time. We have every reason to be proud of this achievement, as we had a number of new boys last term. We were also pleased to win the Championship Cup and we offer our congratulations to all who made this possible. Also, a big pat on the back for Alan Brown on sharing the Victor Ludorum with Hugo of Broughton House. Lastly, we congratulate the boys of Arranmore House on winning the Relay Shield, "pipping" us by one point.

The Swimming Sports were held on September 7th, the standard points events having been cut out this year. The result was very close and we finished in third position only 6.5 points behind Arranmore House, the winners, to whom we offer our congratulations. We were very pleased to retain for yet another year the senior diving trophy and we compliment John Webb on his success in this event.

In conclusion we all hope that the Chief Matron will soon be well enough to resume her normal duties.

Mr. & Mrs. A. T. harrington


As is usual during the Summer months, several diversionary events have taken place which have added spice to the usual run of the term. With the top field still out of action, cricket this season was never apparently very popular, although quite a fair amount was played with a soft ball on the parade ground during recreational and free time.

The very unseasonable weather experienced was also a main factor in making it difficult to sustain enthusiasm in events which are normally very popular in the swimming bath. Owing to pressure of events towards the end of last term, the swimming sports were held on the 7th September, and I think we did better than we expected. It was a great pity that one of our lads was disqualified after finishing easily first in one race, for, had not this have happened, we should have gained first place instead of second in the House Championship points. Congratulations to all our swimmers as they did very well, particularly A, Holt in sharing the Victor Ludorum trophy!

Our House results in the Athletic Sports earlier in the term was, however, not so spectacular as was originally hoped. Owing to a certain lack of co-operation our team had to be re-arranged rather late, thus making it much weaker.

Congratulations are offered to P. Simons and A. Ley in being promoted to Petty Officer and Leading Hand respectively. Three other lads are now being tried out in an acting capacity for Leading Hands and we hope that the House and School may eventually benefit by this new venture, which we hope will result in their eventual promotion to full status.

A pat on the back is certainly due to H. Upward, who, although at the time was the second junior boy in the House, was numbered among the top three boys who won the House competition last term. This is very encouraging when we realise that this boy was mentioned in our last Jack Tar as a new boy. We hope he keeps it up.

J. Ball and I. Walker have recently left us for the Royal Navy, to enter H.M.S. "Ganges" for training in the Communications depart­ment of the Service. B. Buller and J. Dennis (the "menace") have "retired" to civilian employment. We hope they will all do well.

M. Packham, R. Wallace, R. Wheeler and R. Patience have all joined the House since the Summer holidays, and are settling down nicely.

W. D. and B. A. busby


This edition of Jack Tar brings a report of our inevitable changes in the House complement. Richards and Fauchon have gone to the Royal Navy, Vincent to the Royal Armoured Corps (Boys' Section) and Froude has returned to the Reading home. To keep up full strength we have in their places, Moore, and Amos (brother of Ronald)  from Clacton, Seymour, Spence and Kent from Ireland, and Doggett from Sevenoaks.

We have had visits from Walton during his leave from the Army Apprentice School at Harrogate and also from Vincent who is stationed at Wool, in Dorset.

Athletics.We passed on the "wooden spoon" this year and we were delighted with the result of the Inter-House Athletics, as we finished a very good second to Johnston House. It was a real hard tussle right up to the end, with Johnston holding on to their lead to beat us by 6.5 points. Congratulations to their boys on winning the Standard Points and Championship Cups. However, we did manage to take the Relay Shield away from them. Next year, with the talent we have, we sincerely hope that we can do even better. A little more effort from the weaker links in the chain, and we shall make a still closer fight of it. Swimming.—Here we congratulate our boys on a magnificent effort in bringing back the Championship to Arranmore and thus accomplishing the hat trick. We sprang a few suprises during the afternoon with Bryant, Oberdries and the Senior relay team all doing well. Bryant shared the Victor Ludorum with Holt of Howard House, and Oberdries made two grand efforts in the Senior back stroke race and the last lap of the relay. Next year we hope to be the first House to equal the Sturdee Division of Watts in winning the trophy for the fourth suc­cessive year.

The football season is about to start but on what principle we do not yet know. Owing to the alterations on the top field, there will be a limit to the number of games we are able to play.

In conclusion, we of Arranmore can look back with a feeling of pride in the realm of sporting achievements.

Best wishes and good luck from us all.

Mr. and Mrs. A. H. butcher


The Athletic season commenced as soon as the boys returned from Easter leave.

Mr. Harrington and Mr. Wood had prepared the track and jumping pit during the holidays. These two put in a number of hours of hard work and must be congratulated on their results.

The school team for the Inter-Homes District Competition had to be selected before it was possible to hold the School Athletics, this arrangement being very unsatisfactory and requiring a great deal of eliminating before the boys had the necessary practice and training. This year was worse than previously as the Summer term commenced a week later than usual.

On the whole the results were good and a considerable amount of keenness was shown by the athletes themselves. However, it is found that boys not taking part or who have been eliminated make very poor spectators, very soon losing interest in what is going on.

The weather was most unkind. We ran on a wet track at each meeting and the School Sports had to be postponed one day owing to a downpour of rain.



One Mile Senior:  B.Channer. 5min,17sec.

One Mile Junior:  B.Johnson. 5min,37sec.

Throwing the Cricket Ball Senior: C.Hugo,67yds.    Junior: R.Crawford, 55yds.

High Jump Senior:  C.Hugo, 4ft,7in.     Junior:  C.Ferrell. 4ft,3in.

Long Jump Senior:  B.Channer, 16ft,3in.     Junior:  R.Gale, 15ft,8in.


Hop, Step




B. Channer


34 ft. 2 in.


and Jump




E. Bell


31 ft.   6^ in.


100 Yards


Under 16


B. Bayly


12 4/5 sec.




Under 15


C. Hugo


12 2/5 sec.




Under 14


C. Ferrell


12 1/5 sec.




Under 13


J. Buberle


13 4/5 sec.




Under 12


B. Bennett


15 2/5 sec.


880 Yards




A. Brown


2 min. 22 1/5 sec.






R. Meyers


2 min. 34 3/5 sec.


220 Yards


Under 16


A. Brown


27 4/5 sec.




Under 15


P. Bryant


29 1/5 sec.




Under 14


C. Ferrell


28 1/5 sec.




Under 13


J. Buberle


30 4/5 sec.


150 Yards


Under 12


M. Durham


22 2/5 sec.


440 Yards


Under 16


A. Brown


6 1 sec.




Under 15


M. Smith


65 2/5 sec.


80 Yards




J. Chandler


12 3/5 sec.






A. Holt


13 1/5 sec.


Trophies were won as follows:-

Inter-House Championship Cup: Johnston

Standard Points Cup: Johnston

Relays: Arranmore

Victor Ludorum: A. Brown and C. Hugo


Held on Saturday, 22nd. May, 1954.

The following were winners from the Parkstone Sea Training School in this meeting, which entitled them to be entered for the Dr. Barnardo's Homes Athletic Championships.





Group A Boys of 10 and 11 years: Group B Boys of 12 and 13 years: Group C Boys of 14 and 15 years

100yds.   C    M. Aves


11. 3/5 sec.


                       B      C. Ferrell


11. 4/5 sec.


880 yds.         C        A. Brown


2 min. 26 4/5 sec.


Long jump.     B         R. Gale


14 ft. 3 in.


                           A        T. Crossley


12 ft. 6 in.


440yds.              C          A. Brown




High Jump.           B        C. Ferrell


4ft.   1 in.


                               C          C. Hugo




220yds.                  B           C. Ferrell


28 2/5 sec.


                                C            A. Brown


28 sec.


80yds.  Hurdles.     B                R. Gale


13 sec.


Relay, Junior.                                                     P.S.T.S.


44 3/5 sec-


Relay, Senior.                                                    P.S.T.S.




Diving Trophy Senior Relay Junior Relay

Webb     (Johnston)



CAMP 1954

Sixteen boys went to camp at St. Mary's Bay Holiday Camp near New Romney, Kent. We tried to make it a real family party and hope that they all enjoyed the time we spent together.

Mr. R. Frost was a great help and kept us all amused with his tales and experiences. The wireless set, which Mr. D. Christie had kindly provided us with at his own expense, helped to while away the hours when the weather was inclement and we thank him for his kindness.

The lads did not waste much time, and swimming, roller skating, football, cricket, hikes and fishing provided plenty of amusement. The latter sport was pursued with enthusiasm by the younger ones. Dis­covering Mr. Wood's Cockney liking for jellied eels one boy produced two from his trousers' pockets. When told that twenty-two were needed for a good meal, he seemed a little nonplussed but he soon made up his mind to rectify matters.

In closing, I should like to thank the boys for the presents they gave to my husband and I when the holiday ended. We could not find words to express our surprise and pleasure.

The whole holiday, including trips to Hythe, Hastings and Folke­stone was delightful.

Mrs. C. S. woods


During the last three months we were pleased to welcome several new members to the Old Boys' Club. Some of these have been to visit us, others (except those who have joined on leaving the School) have been introduced by older members. Since our last Jack Tar notes we have had no fewer than thirty-five Old Boys visit us.

After many requests, I have at last been able to complete a list of members of our club, together with their addresses and years served at the School. Those names appearing on the end, out of alphabetical sequence, have joined since the list was originally compiled. Where doubt exists around 1949, the name of the School at the time that member eventually left, is printed on the list. The names of several Old Boys from whom we have not heard for many years have been omitted. Apart from this, if I have left anyone off the list by mis­take, or made any errors in the information given, it is entirely unin­tentional.

As promised in our last notes, you will now have been informed by separate letter of our forthcoming re-union. We sincerely hope that all who can manage it, will endeavour to make this, our first "get-together," an outstanding success. The committee responsible for the arrange­ments (acting with permission granted by the Captain and Lady Su­perintendents), and all our staff here, trust that our labours will not be in vain, and that the project will be well supported by you. Your replies which will give us a figure to work on, are eagerly awaited. If any­thing is not quite clear please do not hesitate to write to me about it.

We learn with regret of the deaths of two of our Old Boys, George James Horrex (R.C.N.S.) who started work in 1949 and passed away in St. Margaret's Hospital, Epping, on i3th March, aged 19, and Daniel Longhurst (P.S.T.S.) one of our band boys, recently serving with Royal Artillery Mounted Band. We extend our deepest sympathy to their relatives, friends and school mates.

As I write these notes, I am today, the 49th anniversary of our founder's death, reminded of some words he once wrote to one of his children who was worried about her early history. "Character," he rwrote, "is better than ancestry, and personal conduct is of more importance than the highest parentage". These words, and many other surprises appear in the book "Barnardo of Stepney' which Old Boys and others perusing these notes are strongly advised to read, if you have not already done so. It is a most enjoyable piece of literature, full of revelations even to us, who think perhaps we knew all about Dr. Barnardo and his Homes. Written by A. E. Williams (his personal secretary) it is pub­lished by Guild Books at 2s. To save you searching the bookstalls, I should be pleased to forward you a copy.

You are reminded that we are alwavs on the lookout for news from all of you, changes of job or addresses, places visited or old friends met, engagements, weddings or births, attendance at a good seance; all make interesting reading to someone who knows you.

Best wishes to you all.

B. A. busby

EXTRACTS FROM OLD BOYS' LETTERS From The Rev. Basil Cozens, 35 Meriden Street, Coventry: "... I have a double claim to membership (of the O.B. Club) as I spent three years at the R.C.N.S., 1930-1933 and a few months at the W.N.T.S. in 1933 before going to Goldings . . For the last eight years I have lived in Coventry and have had the rare experience of building a completely new church which has now been open for nearly twelve months. It is proving to be a successful venture."

From Lieut. W. H. McCarthy, R.N., c/o Fleet Mail Office, H.M.S. Rooke, Gibraltar: ". . . It might be of interest to mention that as recent as three years ago, while serving in Indomitable on a visit to Sweden I was asked if I knew the "Hornpipe." I said 'Yes,' not realising it was nearly twenty-five years previous that I was taught it at W.N.T.S, However I retired to my cabin and in half an hour had it off.

Then followed the training of a team of sailors who gave a display before the King of Sweden, and afterwards I had the honour to be

presented to His Majesty.

Two points struck me afterwards. One, how thorough the train­ing must have been, for me to accomplish this after so many years, and secondly, everything that one is taught has its value at some time in a career . . ."

From Frank Dickson, 04 Mess, Emerald Site, H.M.S. Gannet, R.N.A.S., Eglington, Co. Derry, N.I.: "... I was an R.C.N.S. lad during 1946 and 1947. I had to leave as I won a place at the Poole Grammar School and was boarded out in Parkstone for a year or so until I went to Derby for four years where I continued at a Grammar School.

"I joined the Royal Navy in January, 1953, and am now an Air Radio Electricians' Mate 1st Class ..."

From Musician K. J. Tuttiet, R.M. Band, H.M.S. Vanguard:

"... During the summer cruise the Vanguard, starting at Port­land, in May, visited Brest and then escorted the Queen up the English Channel. After this, continuing our summer cruise we called at Rosyth, Invergorden, Scapa Flow, Oslo, Kristiansand, Halsingburg and then we went round to Weymouth before returning to Portsmouth, so you can see the ships of the Home Fleet visit many places which the average civilian would never see ..."


A committee has recently been formed and has met to consider the possibility of holding an Old Boys' Reunion here at the School.

With the Captain-Superintendent's approval the following tenta­tive arrangements have been made for Saturday, 16th April, 1955 :

7.30 p.m.: Old Boys' Reunion Dinner. 8.30 to 11.00 p.m.: Social Evening.

Those who are single or who cannot bring wives will find accom­modation available for the night in certain dormitories of the boys' Houses for those wishing to stay, as the majority of the boys will be away on Easter leave.

Sunday, I7th April: 9 a.m. Breakfast, and at 11.00 a.m. a Reunion Service in the School Chapel. 12 noon, Lunch.

Considerable deliberation was made on the question of Old Boys' wives attending. Eventually it was agreed that as this was our first reunion, and therefore, really an experimental one, Old Boys would not be expected to bring their wives on this occasion. They would of course be free to do so if they wished, but accommodation would not be available in the School. We would, however, do our best to book accommodation for couples or unattached Old Boys who would rather sleep outside the School.


The mole, or as he is affectionately referred to "the little gentle­man in velvet" spends most of his life below ground. He has a round body and a short neck, and has a tapering snout which helps him to travel along the narrow tunnels.

His fur is prized by all country folk, as it is beautiful and soft (hence the nickname, "the gentleman in velvet"). In olden days the men used to have waistcoats made from mole skins and today of course the ladies love to have fur coats which are quite expensive. In fact men are engaged all over the country catching these little creatures.

Moles leave their underground tunnels, which are quite elaborate, to collect leaves and mosses with which they line their nesting chambers. The young are born in May, in litters of three to four. They are blind and pink when they are born, and they would remind you of little sugar mice which we sometimes see in the shops.

Kenneth Grahame tells us quite a lot about Mr. Mole in his book "Wind in the Willows". After reading about him I think it is a pity he should be hunted for his fur, because Mr. Grahame makes him seem such a delightful little creature.

The farmer has his own views, as he does not like to see his land spoilt, for the mole makes mounds of earth all over the fields when he is tunneling, and so is regarded as a pest.

G. W. Biggs.     E.R.A. Class


Deep in the heart of the Peruvian jungle lies the remains of an old Inca City. The people who lived there used to worship the Sun God.

Many years ago, the precise date does not matter, a party of explorers were in Buenos Aires. They had heard from some chicle hunters about this city of untold wealth, which was guarded by hostile Indians, and had decided to try and find it, and, by so doing, make themselves rich and famous.

One of the major problems was how to get a guide, as not a native in the whole of Buenos Aires would go within a thousand miles of the mysterious city. It was decided to offer a fee of .£1,000 to tempt the natives. That did the trick. The explorers were overrun with offers and at last a guide was chosen. His name was Pedro, a very common name in those parts. In fact it may have been a name for the occasion.

After days of journeying, the party reached the Peruvian jungle. Its dark interior held out many terrors and at every halt it was necessary to light a fire, so as to keep ferocious beasts at bay.

Having encountered hazards and frightening experiences of the jungle for three days and nights, our fearless explorers reached the city. You will not find this city marked on any map, but you may hear some people talk about it.

Suddenly, Pedro was swept off his feet. He had stepped into a net of creepers. There was no sound. Everywhere there was a deathly silence. Even the birds and monkeys ceased to chatter. Then a sharp twang broke the silence and this was followed by a resounding thud. With a gurgling cry, Pedro fell from his trap and lay writhing in agony. "Our turn will come," said one of the explorers.

We do not know whether their end in fact came to them in such an agonizing manner, or whether they died in captivity. I can tell you that nothing more was heard of those explorers, but a diary kept by one of them was found by a party of searchers in that area. It gave no clues to their disappearance. Have you an answer?

M. Usher    Form 3A


This story deals with the earliest form of boat. In the beginning, the native who lived by the river, often watched pieces of twig go floating by. One day while sitting by the river he saw a log floating in the current. Slowly he waded out until he could grab hold of it, and then he climbed upon it and drifted down with the current. Thus we had our first boat.

Later on, logs were hollowed out by means of flint tools or fire and made into a crude canoe propelled by a paddle. The nomadic savage desired a lighter craft to carry from stream to stream, so he built boats of bark, or a framework of wood covered with the skin of an animal to make it water-tight.

Noah's Ark is our earliest record of a ship. We are only told that it was 450 feet in length, 75 feet in breadth and 45 feet in depth.

But the real ship designers were the Egyptians as proved by designs of ships depicted on coins and pottery dating back six thousand years before Christ. In all these early vessels there were rowers to move the craft against the wind or contrary currents.

Then came the coracle, a small oval-shaped boat propelled by a paddle. These boats, which are still used today in Wales, can survive quite rough weather, but would capsize in a fresh gale.

B. Ryder    E.R.A. Class


In the year 1893, a captain of a sailing vessel called the "Ibex," which was on the Singapore-Fremantle route, landed on an island 50 miles N.W. of the volcanic island of Krakatoa and gave this report to the authorities."I was passing old Krakatoa in the "Ibex" and I saw that there were two volcanoes. I thought that this was rather peculiar, so I landed on the beach. The two volcanoes were belching forth black smoke and cinders and the beach was so hot that it burnt through the soles of my shoes."

That night, terrific explosions came from Krakatoa and its two volcanoes, but the worst was yet to come. Next day, the explosions increased in intensity. Just after noon, there was an explosion that made all previous explosions sound like nothing at all, and the heart of old Krakatoa was ripped out.

The noise was so terrific that 100 miles away in Batavia, eardrums burst, and headhunters in Borneo ran to their huts in fear. In Australia 1,700 miles away, they thought it was artillery fire. Even 3,000 miles away they jumped! Huge tidal waves more than 40 feet high followed and swept over the nearby islands, bringing death and destruction. The tidal waves even caused a rise in the level of the Thames. One and a half days later, the noise reached England, thousands of miles away.

Later, when people went to investigate, they found the sea was covered with dead fish, and most significant of all, Krakatoa had disappeared!

About three years later, an island was reported to have risen from the bottom of the sea, in exactly the same position as old Krakatoa. To increase the mystery of this remarkable incident, birds and plants quickly appeared on this island when it rose from the sea. How did plants grow on rock which had been submerged in the salt water?

A. Efford     Form IVA