Hugh Upward.


The three sea schools have between them produced many brave men that we can all be proud of. This is just a small part of the life of one of them

Hugh Upward.

Hugh Upward joined PSTS in 1954, he was in Howard House, number 46 and in "Special class" until he entered the Royal Navy in September 1957 as an artificer apprentice at HMS Fisgard, whilst at Fisgard, Hugh won the ISBA bantam-weight title in early 1958, he went on to specialise as an electrical artificer at HMS Collingwood.

He served on the following ships, HMS Hampshire- a county class destroyer; HMS Palliser- a type 14 frigate on fishery protection; HMS Devonshire- another county class destroyer where he was promoted to Chief Electrical Artificer; HMS Mohawk - a tribal class frigate; and then back to HMS Collingwood as an instructor.

He then served on HMS Argonaut- a Leander class frigate, HMS Arrow - a type 21 destroyer and lastly on HMS Glamorgan- a county class destroyer, where he saw action during the Falklands war.

He left the Royal Navy in 1983.

The following is a tribute to Hugh, contributed by Lt, Comm, Keith Smith who was the senior engineer on H.M.S.Glamorgan during the Falklands War.


As the Senior Engineer, Hugh served as my CMEA(L). He was a class act in every way. The MEs had recently taken on the Heavy “L“ side of life and we relied heavily on those WEs who came across to assist us. Hugh understood this problem and ensured that we were never embarrassed by our lack of knowledge. He was an excellent man manager, most thorough in all he did and was a true gentleman. The best CMEA that I have ever served with.  Come the Falkland Islands campaign, Hugh was outstanding throughout. He gave everyone the confidence that he and the MEA(L) department was not going to let us down. Maintenance, training and preparation was thorough; Hugh had it under control.

Two events that I recall in which Hugh excelled and made a difference:

1. When the tumble dryer motor failed as we approached the war zone it could have caused a major drop in morale. Drying clothes would have been a nightmare. We had no spare motor. Then Hugh came along and asked me if he could convert the redundant hot fresh water pump motor as it was a similar motor to that of the tumble dryer. Working overnight the impossible was achieved and we had a working tumble dryer the very next day. Hugh instructed the Chinese laundry men not to over load the motor but when I was doing my rounds the following evening the tumble dryer was on full load and running well. It lasted throughout the conflict.  Ingenuity at its best.

2. At 6:37 12 June 1982. HMS Glamorgan was hit by an exocet missile. The ship was doing 25 knots and was reverting from Action Stations to a Defence Watch system. Hugh and I were in the Main Control room about to be relieved by the Watch keepers.  The missile head ended up in the Port After Breaker room and shrapnel damage stopped both Diesel generators. The boost gas turbines were damaged and stopped. Chaos reigned. But the cool head of Hugh Upward saved the day as he manipulated the main switchboard and restored power to the essential services so that we continued our path through the water at 20 knots, steering the ship away from danger, fighting the fires, pumping out the flood water and surviving with power to some of the weapon systems. Yes, if it had not been for Hugh we could have lost the steam generators and had a main steam failure. Then the ship could not have  survived, the fire would have got out of control and the ship would have been lost.

I received a C-in-C’s Commendation for “ensuring that the propulsion was retained, lighting and essential services were restored with minimal interruption”.  This was mainly down to Hugh’s excellence. 

Parkstone Sea Training School must be proud having produced such a magnificent Royal Naval engineer.  It was my privilege to serve with such a great character.

There was another incident when Hugh advised the WEs during the campaign. I believe it was something to do with cutting a transformer in half and this gave us a very blurry radar picture but it was better than nothing. Unfortunately, I cannot remember the details, but I am sure Hugh remembers. I remember WEO thanking me for Hugh’s contribution.

If there is anything else that I can do please don’t hesitate to ask.

Kind regards

Keith Smith


Extract from Google pages.
"Part of the Poole Pottery archive consists of black and white photographs of 
tiling work done on exteriors and interiors of buildings from the 1930s to the 
1960s by its sister company Carter Tiles (originally Carter & Co.).  Some of the 
work was done for pubs, and one set of photographs shows a ceramic sculpture 
of a sailor dancing a hornpipe and placed over the entrance to a pub in Stepney 
called “The Jolly Sailor” [ref: D/PPY/A 6/6/4/1/41]. 
Looking on the internet for details of the precise location of the pub, I came 
across an enquiry on a Stepney discussion forum asking if anyone had a photograph of the pub sign, as the pub had been refurbished and later demolished  and the pub sign had long gone.  I contacted the enquirer, Keith Upward, now  living in Australia, and this is his story:" 

It was not until 2006 that my Brother revealed this priceless piece of  family history.  
I have lived in Australia since 1960. My Brother (Hugh) joined the Royal Navy in about 1957 as an Artificer Apprentice and retired as a Chief  EA in 1982, after the Falklands War. He now lives in Portsmouth. 
In 2006, I travelled to the UK to join my Brother on a War Grave  Pilgrimage to NE India to visit our Father’s Burial Site. He died during the Burma campaign in 1944. 
To join the tour, we had to travel by bus from Portsmouth to London, a two hour journey, the longest one on one time we had spent  together in 50 years! It was then that that he revealed that he had modelled, dancing the Sailor's Hornpipe, for the Jolly Sailor Pub sign. He then told me that he had dropped into the Pub a few years later, while on leave and tried to squeeze a pint out of the Landlord on the strength of his story, all to no avail! 
Mr Upward also sent us the photograph of his brother in his sailor’s uniform.
It was such an intriguing story that I contacted his brother, Hugh Upward, and he supplied the details of how he came to be the model for the sculpture: 
That sure is a blast from the past! Yes, I was at Parkstone Sea Training 
School from May ‘54 to Sept ‘57, joining the Navy at 15½ as an Artificer Apprentice. 
At Parkstone, before you were allowed ashore Sat. and  Sun. afternoons, you had to learn how to do the "Sailors Hornpipe".  How was I chosen?  I've no idea. If I remember rightly I was fairly Senior at the time. I had to go down to Poole Potteries on the Quay in uniform (we 
had nothing else), this would normally be out of bounds to us. I think the Jimmy (1st Lt) took us down in his car. 
I actually performed the Hornpipe while I think they made a few sketches? 
Years later on a weekend in London I found the Pub, built in the fifties, and there I was above the door! It had just changed hands, so I never did get a free pint, he [the new Landlord] wasn’t a bit interested. 
The History Centre was able to supply copies of the photographs and we now have two satisfied customers and a fascinating story! 
Cory King  .Cataloguer .

Hugh now lives just outside Portsmouth with his wife Carol, he is still passionate about his motorbikes and attends many rallies on his  AJS 650 twinn, 1960, bike.